New GSR 5.0 tuning and issues

GST 7.7 , Nemesis 7.7 , GSR 5.0

Moderators: sbeamers, CEN Racing

New GSR 5.0 tuning and issues

Postby tradinman on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 pm

I just recently purchased a GSR 5.0 and did all the breakin and tuning and was running fine until today. I have been probably through 8-9 tanks 20%nitro. Car became slugish and started messing with the HSN and LSN but would die and not run correctly. When looking at the head and the heat sink I noticed a bunch of oil/nitro and found one of the 4 screws had stripped out and had to replace with a longer screw. I also see fuel around the idle screw and it seems my engine temp runs very hot according to the on board venom guage like 300-350 unless you just putt around which it didnt run hot before. I guess I need to check for leaks unless there are any other suggestions. Also, when people talk about flush on the LSN please give me some insight as to flush with exactly what since I have read different. If anyone around the Austin,TX area would be willing to help I would greatly appreciate it. This is all a new learning curve for me!

San Marcos, TX
tradinman
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Re: New GSR 5.0 tuning and issues

Postby Dan on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:07 am

If you have the 5.0 chances are you have a leak, just check for it and reseal it and you'll be back in business.
Back in the states, in a place called Lawton. Who has heard of it!?
Dan
CENsational
CENsational

Postby tradinman on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 am

Chris with CEN asked for me to return the motor so that is what I did.
tradinman
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby Dan on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Evern better then, just make sure when you get the new one check it anyways.
Dan
CENsational
CENsational

Postby tradinman on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 am

Got my motor back and did the break in. Tried to run after break in but would die due to being too rich. Leaned the HSN and the only way to get it to run is to put the HSN all the way in with only a 1/2 turn out and the vehicle will run great but gets hot at 270-305. Went ahead and sealed the carb and back plate and put teflon on the LSN threads and checked the HSN o ring and idle o ring. Let stand for more than 24 hours before running. Still running hot and must have HSN needle all the way in with 1/2 turn out so something is not right. I have yet got to enjoy running my new truck just been breaking the motors in and wasting nitro and my time. I do have an email back to Chris with CEN so hopefully they can resolve this issue with my new GSR 5.0 that has only seen break in and lots of nitro with no run time. Seems that overheating is a problem with CEN motors and it needs to be corrected somehow. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
tradinman
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby jrolla38 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 pm

? Did the fuel leak stop?
jrolla38
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby Dan on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 am

I also had issues with the 5.0 engine, it always runs a little hot, around 260-270, I stopped running the cars for a bit, maybe until I get back in the states but I'm sure my 5.0 still runs hot.
Dan
CENsational
CENsational

Postby tradinman on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:29 am

Just ordered new clutch springs since vehicle is not shifting. I have put a nova head on, sealed the engine and sealed the cylinder sleeve but still runs hot. Hopefully with it not shifting and the new springs will resolve the problem with heat.
tradinman
CEN Rookie
CEN Rookie

Postby jrolla38 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:08 pm

im not able to shift also i have tried the steps a couple times and the car still wont shift i also put the screws all the way in and tried it over and still nothing could it be the clutch springs as i have never had the car shift properly
jrolla38
CEN Supporter
CEN Supporter

Postby vangsoe on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi guys

As earlier mentioned - all you need to shift is revs on your engine. Without proper high revs, the gear clutches wont engage, no matter were you position the adjusting screws.

You can try to hold the car in the handle and see if its shifts, if you let it rev up raised like this.

Tune your engines Gentlemen :D

Best regards from Denmark

Niels & Mikkel
vangsoe
CENsational
CENsational

Next

Return to CEN 1/8 Monster Truck